Table of Contents
Welcome to WCE!
1. Introduction and general terms
- What information WCE may collect about you;
- How WCE will use the information we collect about you;
- When WCE may use your details to contact you;
- Whether WCE will disclose your details to anyone else;
- Your choices regarding the personal information you provide to us; and
WCE is committed to safeguarding your personal information. Whenever you provide such information, we are legally obliged to use your information in line with all laws concerning the protection of personal information in Rwanda.
2. What information will WCE collect about me?
When you contact WCE to become a member, make a donation or sign up for any of WCE’s activities or online content, such as newsletters or your telephone, email or write to WCE, or engage with WCE via social media channels, we may receive and retain personal information about you. This can consist of information such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone or mobile number, and bank account details to process donations and make payments.
By submitting your details, you enable WCE (and where applicable any sub-contractors we may use) to raise funds and to provide you with services, information, activities, or online content you select.
We do not usually ask members to provide “sensitive personal data” (such as information relating to racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, health information, and political opinions). However, if you reveal such information in emails or other communications hosted by our site, you are consenting to this sensitive personal data being collected and processed by us. If you do not wish to consent, please do not include sensitive personal data in your communications to, or through, the site.
If there is a clear reason for collecting sensitive personal data, for example, if you are participating in a marathon or similar fundraising event or where we need this to ensure that we provide appropriate facilities or support to enable you to participate in the event. Clear notices will be provided on applications for such events so that it is clear what information we need and why we need it.
If you are simply browsing the site as an anonymous visitor, WCE may still collect certain information from you, such as your IP addresses (an IP address is a number that can uniquely identify a specific computer or another network device on the internet).
If you enter your contact details in one of our online forms, we may use this information to contact you even if you don’t “send” or “submit” the form. We will only do this to see if we can help with any problems you might be experiencing with the form or with our websites.
We may combine the information we collect about you and the information you give to us with information we receive from other sources.
3. How will WCE use the information it collects about me?
WCE will use your personal information for a number of purposes including the following:
- in relation to any correspondence you have entered into with us whether by letter, email, text, social media, message board, or any other means;
- for “service administration purposes”, which means that WCE may contact you for reasons related to donations you have made, the completion of commercial or other transactions you have entered into with WCE, or the activity or online content you have signed up for;
- for internal record keeping, to administer the site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, and statistical and survey purposes;
- to fulfill sales contracts you have entered into with WCE;
- to contact you about any content you provide;
- to invite you to participate in surveys or research about WCE or our work (participation is always voluntary);
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically consented to receive marketing communications from us;
- to provide you with information about our activities or online content you have agreed to receive;
- to personalize the way WCE content is presented to you;
- to use IP addresses to identify the location of users, to block disruptive use, to establish the number of visits from different countries;
- to analyze and improve the activities and content offered by the site and to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience. We may also use and disclose information in aggregate (so that no individuals are identified) for marketing and strategic development purposes;
- to notify you about changes to our service; and
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
4. Will I be contacted for marketing purposes?
5. Personal information submitted when you make a donation or purchase a ticket
We will collect your first and last name, and your email address when you make a donation or purchase a ticket using our site. When you make a card payment your credit or debit card details are only collected by our third-party payment provider. We do not store your credit or debit card details.
6. Will WCE share my personal information with anyone else?
We will only use your information for the purposes for which it was obtained.
WCE will not, under any circumstances, share or sell your personal data with any third party for marketing purposes and you will not receive offers from other companies or organizations as a result of giving your details to us.
We may share your information with selected third parties, including “data processors” such as our service providers, associated organizations, and agents who help us to prepare and send the materials relating to our projects and fundraising activities. These “data processors” will only act under our instruction and we will not allow these organizations to use your data for their own purposes and will take care to ensure that they keep your data secure.
We may disclose your information to third parties:
- in the event that we buy or sell any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective buyer or seller;
- if WCE or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held about members will be one of the transferred assets;
- if disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies for tax purposes or law enforcement agencies for the prevention and detection of crime, subject to such bodies providing us with a relevant request in writing); and
- in order to enforce or apply our terms and conditions or to protect the rights, property, or safety of WCE, our members, or others.
7. Offensive or inappropriate content placed on the site
7.1 Where we believe, in our absolute discretion, that you are in breach of any of these terms and conditions we will be entitled without prior notice to deny you further use of our website and/or to remove from our website all information you have made available on or through our website. If we take either or both of these courses of action our doing so will in all instances be without prejudice to any of our other rights, at law or otherwise.
7.2 You agree to indemnify and keep us indemnified from and against any and all actions, proceedings, costs, claims, damages, losses, and expenses of whatsoever nature and howsoever arising as a result of or in connection with any breach by you of these terms and conditions, including any failure to indemnify us as required by this provision.
8. How long will WCE keep my personal information?
We will hold your personal information on our systems for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, for example, we will keep a record of donations for at least ten years.
If you request that we stop sending you marketing materials we will keep a record of your contact details and appropriate information to enable us to comply with your request not to be contacted by us.
Where you contribute material to us, e.g. user-generated content or in response to a particular campaign we will generally only keep your content for as long as is reasonably required for the purpose(s) for which it was submitted unless otherwise stated at the point of generation.
9. What is WCE’s policy on allowing me to update, correct, or delete my personal information?
The accuracy of your information is really important to us. We want to ensure that we are able to communicate with you in ways that you are happy with and to provide you with information that is of interest. If you wish to change how we communicate with you or update the information we hold, then please contact us. You may: email us at email@example.com;
You may also opt-out of marketing emails at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link in any marketing email from WCE.
10. Cookies Policy – information WCE collects from your computer or mobile device
a. What is a cookie?
Cookies are small text files on your device. They are made by your web browser when you visit a website. Every time you go back to that website, your browser will send the cookie file back to the website’s server. Cookies are useful because they allow a website to recognize a user’s device. Click here or here to find more information about cookies.
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improving the user experience.
They can also help to ensure that adverts you see online are more relevant to you and your interests.